Electrical problems in the home might seem minor at first, but they can quickly become household fire hazards. If you notice these warning signs or other indications of a problem, call a professional to troubleshoot and fix the issue.

Warm Power Cords Indicate Electrical Problems in the Home

When you unplug an appliance, the cord should not be hot. If it feels warm to the touch, the device may not be rated to handle the outlet’s current. The cord itself might be frayed or damaged, or the outlet may have a loose wire. If you are using an extension cord, it can become hot if it has to pull too much power. Use a more substantial cord with a higher amp and gauge rating.

Flickering Lights

If you notice the light in the kitchen flickering or flashing, this could be an electrical issue. Flickering lights are sometimes caused by a loose bulb, but other times the issue may be in the home’s wiring. It could also be a loose connection in the breaker box. If tightening or replacing the bulb does not stop the light from flickering, it is time to call an electrician.

Sparks From an Outlet

When you touch an outlet, it should not spark or shock you. This type of electrical problem can happen with improper grounding or old wiring that may have become loose over time. Electrical shocks are more substantial than a jolt from static electricity. Sparks or receiving a shock are signs that it’s time to call a professional to assess the situation and make repairs.

Outlet With No Power

There are several reasons an outlet may stop working. One common cause is that the wiring came loose from the back of the outlet, but if you have a string of dead outlets, there could be a problem at the electrical box. The breaker may have been tripped or there’s a faulty wire along the circuit. An electrician can come out and locate the source of the problem.

Electrical Problems in the Home Can Cause a Smoky Odor

A melting or smoky smell could be a sign of an overheated outlet. When wiring gets too hot, the plastic casing might begin to melt. If the smell is coming from an outlet, flip the breaker off in the electrical panel. Unplug any appliances and call a professional to take a look.

Electrical problems in the home put you and your family at risk. If you notice any sign or issue that concerns you, call an electrician immediately. A professional will be able to diagnose problems and help keep your home safe from an electrical fire.

Catawba Island Home Inspections provides home inspection services in Northwest Ohio. Contact us to schedule an appointment.